Vice President, Client Services
Location: National (remote)
Our country's education and workforce systems are inequitable, failing to meet the needs of our country’s most marginalized citizens. Historically, workforce education has led to low-wage jobs disconnected from ongoing higher education, which has created significant barriers for career advancement. At the same time, traditional higher education has increasingly become unaffordable for Americans from lower-income backgrounds while also lacking direct connection to the labor market. The consequences of these systemic failures are dire. Despite increases in national high school graduation and college enrollment rates, systemic racism and inequity mean that college persistence continues to be low, particularly for people that are Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC).
At Propel America, we believe a better system should and can exist. We believe high school graduates shouldn’t have to choose between forestalling income and accruing significant debt while pursuing a traditional college degree or forestalling education and mobility for low-wage, entry-level work with few opportunities for advancement. Propel is building that better system, a ‘third way’ solution that allows young adults from low-income backgrounds to access an affordable and efficient pathway to a good job that serves as a springboard to a choice-filled life.
By working backwards from the needs of established employer partners, Propel America:
- Supports young adults (18 to 24 years old), particularly those from low-income backgrounds, to prepare for living wage jobs
- Partners with training and higher education organizations to offer workforce credentials that allow students (or “fellows,” as we call them) to earn college credits
- Provides wraparound coaching and professional skill development to ensure fellows have what they need to be successful in their job interview, on the first day of work, and a plan for ongoing education and career advancement.
Your mission is to serve as the founding leader of our client services function. In this role, you will serve as an enterprise leader and key strategist for the organization by overseeing and executing on our pathway strategy. You will develop the vision and strategy to support Propel America in scaling our impact through expanding our portfolio of employer and training partnerships and managing these key relationships towards solving their key talent needs and achieving our aspired fellow-level outcomes. These partnerships are currently predominantly within the Healthcare sector (located across the country); while additionally industries may be added upon establishing scalable impact.
Specifically, in the near term, this role is about ensuring Propel America reaches our ambition of at least 2,000 18-24 year olds entering and thriving in family-sustaining employment. And longer term, the VP, Client Services will support Propel America in managing an ecosystem of employers who are committed to participating in a “Jobs-First Higher Education” and implementing sustainable, high-impact support for early career professionals.
The VP, Client Services responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Pathway Development & Strategy
- Identify and continually refine a pathway strategy that advances our efforts to scale alongside the Chief Program Officer and VP, Growth & Partnership, with an emphasis on identifying sectors and roles that are expected to experience outsized growth in healthcare in the next decade, solving the talent needs of our local and national employer partners, and aligning the experience offered through our training partners
- Develop the Client Services infrastructure and operations (technology use, workflow processes, progress monitoring, etc.) that guide our approach to ensuring a high-quality and efficient partner experience
- Guide the cross-functional coordination of our Program and Marketing teams to optimize external visibility into our pathways and ensure fellows are prepared to thrive with our partners
- Work closely with our External Affairs team on the identification of new national employer or training partners
Client Services Execution & Management
- Serve as the primary owner for a portfolio of national training and employer partnerships (primarily large hospitals/ healthcare companies) through a mix of strategic consulting, project management, and customer success orientation to maintain and grow these relationships
- Build long-term strategic relationships with new partners in coordination with the CPO, CEO and External Affairs team, identifying unique opportunities and how they can be best be served through Propel America’s offerings
- Oversee the execution, cross-coordination, and delivery of Propel America’s offerings to ensure our employers’ critical talent needs are solved and our fellows’ educational goals are achieved including the building of stackable pathways with our higher education partners
- Guide the tactical planning and internal coordination required to ensure cohorts of fellows are showing up prepared for the hiring and onboarding processes driven by our employee partners
- Lead the broader Client Services team towards growing and maintaining our employer and training partner relationships
- Work with the COO and External Affairs team to develop the strategy and operationalize the collection of a financial contribution from employers
- 7-10 years of experience in management consulting and/or partnership management with a strong record of results
- Strong customer service orientation with the ability to understand the needs and motivations of others, particularly when long-term relationships are essential to success
- Knowledge and understanding of how to develop strong trust-based relationships - balancing confidence, humility, diplomacy at senior levels - with demonstrated ability to reach big goals
- Comfort in directly managing a portfolio of partners and being the external representative to these relationships
- Exceptional quantitative and qualitative analytical skills; use of rigorous logic, analyses, and insightful conclusions to develop strategy, drive influence, and collaborate effectively
- Strong organization and team building skills, with a high attention to detail and the ability to keep track of both the high level progress and the small details
- Experience engaging cross-functionally with a broad range of internal and external partners
- Excellent problem solving skills, with a strong emphasis on developing scalable processes
- Strong communication, delivery, and presentation skills
- Strong values-alignment and equity orientation to advancing a job-first higher education approach for our fellows
- Comfortable traveling 30%-40% of the time (pending health and safety regulations)
The salary for this position is between $117K-$159K annually. Propel America offers a competitive total rewards package including coverage of 90% of health insurance premiums, unlimited PTO, and a flexible work environment.
Interested in Applying?
Please submit your application here. The application deadline to apply for this position is December 2, 2021. After this date we do not guarantee review of submissions.
Propel America is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We encourage candidates from historically underrepresented backgrounds to apply.